Kinja is the sole owner of the information collected on Kinja. Kinja may collect information from our users at several different points on Kinja.
- Comments – In order to enhance their use of Kinja, users can choose to leave comments on particular articles of interest. Commenters may register anonymously. However, if a third party complains that a comment breaches our Terms of Service (e.g. libels them), then in accordance with our Terms of Service, we will make reasonable efforts to contact the commenter and alert them to the situation. If we are required to by law to disclose commenters' contact information, we will attempt to contact commenters to give them the opportunity to respond to such requests. Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.
- Mailing Lists & Service Emails - Kinja may launch a mailing list, in order to provide subscribers with relevant information - breaking news, or weekly or daily round-ups, for example. In order to sign up to receive regular emails from a site's mailing list, users must submit information including a valid email address and demographic information such as location and interests. This information will be used in aggregate form only in order to assess general user interest in various internal and third party products and services, and your personal and contact information will not be passed to any other organization. Users who choose to sign up for a mailing list will receive regular emails from the site. Kinja may from time to time track user email usage in a continued effort to improve our services. Most of the time, these will be content from the site in question, but we may occasionally send out an email from a third party sponsor. This will be infrequent, and does not represent an endorsement by Kinja of any products advertised therein. It will clearly be marked as advertising. Since editorial independence is critical to us, you can be sure that we will never send out a sponsored email in the guise of a glowing product review. If you do not wish to receive emails from third party advertisers, please do not sign up for the mailing list.
- Log Files – Like most standard Website servers we use log files. This includes internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, platform type, date/time stamp, and number of clicks to analyze trends, administer the site, track user's movement in the aggregate, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. IP addresses, etc. are not linked to personally identifiable information. We may use a tracking utility that uses log files to analyze user movement.
- First Party Ad Serving – The ads appearing on this website are delivered to you by Google's DoubleClick, our web advertising vendor. Kinja uses only first party data about your visits to this site to serve ads to you. First party data only includes information collected during your current search or visit to our websites. First party data that we collect is not shared with any other third parties and is only used for proprietary ad delivery, ad reporting, and contextual advertising. As such, Kinja is not a participant in online behavioral advertising as defined by the Digital Advertising Alliance and FTC.
- Third Party Advertising and Cookies – Some of our third party advertising partners may distribute cookies to users in advertisements that are provided to us. Kinja has no access to or control over these cookies once we have received the advertisements from third parties. These advertisers may be engaging in online behavioral advertising as defined by the Digital Advertising Alliance and FTC.
- Opt-out – As part of our commitment to transparency and your privacy, we provide the following links to opt-out of cookies provided by both our first party ad server and many third party advertising partners who may be engaging in online behavioral advertising:
- First Party Opt-out – Please visit this link to opt-out of cookies from our first party ad serving vendor, Google: http://www.google.com/privacy/ads/
- Third Party and Online Behavioral Advertising Opt-out – Please visit this link to opt-out of cookies from over 50+ major third party behavioral advertising providers: http://www.aboutads.info/choices/
In the event Kinja goes through a business transition, such as a merger, acquisition by another company, or sale of a portion of its assets, users' personal information will, in most instances, be part of the assets transferred.
Though we make every effort to preserve user privacy, Kinja may need to disclose personal information when required by law wherein we have a good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with a current judicial proceeding, a court order or legal process served on Kinja or affiliates.
Kinja has technical, administrative and physical safeguards in place to help protect against unauthorized access to, use or disclosure of user information we maintain. Under our security practices and policies, access to personally identifiable information is authorized only for those who have a business need for such access, and sensitive records are to be retained only as long as necessary for business or legal needs and destroyed before disposal. Although we work hard to protect personal information that we collect and store, no program is one hundred percent secure and we cannot guarantee that our safeguards will prevent every unauthorized attempt to access, use or disclose personal information.
If you become aware of a security issue, please email us at legal [at] gawker [dot] com. We will work with you to address any problems.